Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purple Cobra

Purple Cobra

So just tooling around Reverb, because I've got the TA fever and think eventually I may want a Cobra to go with my Classic (once my credit card recovers). Someone just listed a new (05-05-20) Cobra with "Abalone Purpleburst" finish which is interesting, but I noticed that the mahogany neck looks pretty unusual. Now I am aware that TA shies away from flame/birdseye maple necks, but is there something different going on with this particular mahogany neck?

Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like a typical TA mahogany neck from my experience. I don't see anything unusual.

Oh wow, that's a beauty.
    TAG C+2 & HDT , Godin A12, Homemade Koa/maple top hollow body electric, 1992 PRS Custom 24 Lacewood, Gibson Chet Atkins CE, 1976 Ovation Breadwinner, Ovation MM68 mandolin, Alvarez/Yairi DY87 dbl neck, 2015 Taylor 916ce

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    not a great pic of the top, it's likely not as purple as it looks. the color from the camera looks a little more tan than i think they look in person. mahogany is prety consistant in color. every now and again we see some that is a darker red, but that is less common all the time.

Definitely not as purple as it looks:

The seller sent me some addition pics, the neck looked more normal in room lighting vs their guitar studio. If I were to get a Cobra (which is looking pretty likely as a nice pairing with my new Classic) it would be the exact specs of this guitar, except the color. I don't mind variations of blue, but I don't know if I am ready for purple.

purple is a commitment. think about your wardrobe.

If I can do Burgundy Mist you can do purple!

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    purple is a commitment. think about your wardrobe.
    Yeah speaking of wardrobe, I have a nice charcoal grey suit (had to get it for a wedding on the East Coast last fall) and one of my shirt choices was a pale purple with a purple and silver grey paisley tie. But that's an accent color!

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    purple is a commitment.
    Well, it looks like I will be committed soon; expecting delivery on Friday! Now to explain this one to my wife...

can't help you with that one.

So on your website there is an example of Abalone-T. Purple Burst, it looks absolutely gorgeous!

It is hard to tell, but I think my guitar will be more purple and less abalone, we'll see...but this guitar is stunning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the center part is super dependent on the top grain. the ones with more soft end grain will get deeper, and the harder pieces will be lighter.

And here we go...more purple than abalone, but still beautiful:

That is killer. I had a purple Cobra back in the early 2000s that was just amazing sounding and looking. It was trans purple over flame maple on top with binding and the back and headstock were actually metallic purple.

So, very happy with my new guitar! Last quick question- Position 3, I assume that is both humbuckers together with the Tone Knob In, and split single coils in series with Tone Knob Out? So that it acts like a "Middle" humbucker?