Anderson Guitar Forum - Sponsored By Northeast Music Center Inc  

Go Back   Anderson Guitar Forum - Sponsored By Northeast Music Center Inc > AMPS and CABINETS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 AM

Thoth105 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King
Tube issues maybe? I first played through the Alchemist 112 a week or so ago in Houston and was very impressed, esp. at the price point. I stopped at GC yesterday in Dallas and played through the head/cabinet. What I got is two completely different impressions. The one in Dallas didn't sound bad but came short of the tones I got in Houston. Maybe there are some inconsistencies with the tubes. Having just purchased one on ebay I'm hoping that is the only inconsistency with the product. Dan had mentioned to me the other day that even though this was an overseas build and all, he didn't think Bogner would do anything to hurt thier reputation so hopefully we just got some tube issues.

Sounds like it - could just be the bias, too.
If the alchemist is anything like the "custom shop" Bogners, they'll be fairly sensitive to that, at least in my experience.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:07 PM

Road King is on a distinguished road
OK, I've had the Alchemist for about two weeks now and I have to say, I think I love it. With provision. The clean channel is very nice. Nice bloom in the chords. Not quite as much top end slice as a Fender but it does remind you of the tone. Clean channel also takes pedals very nicely. Dialing in my silver LTD was a snap and it gives killer tone. The gain channel is also impressive although not as tight as I would like it. A little mushy but definitley not flubby. Tone controls are responsive and the effects (reverb and delay) are actually usable. It comes tubed with Rubys but I'm going to try some others at the recommendation of Suriel and others on the forum. A little heavier weight (65ish lbs) than I would like for sure. No cover. And the ability to go to EL type tubes would be nice, as would a master volume. Then there is the Chinese build and Best Buy thing that just kind of "feels" weird.
Only time will tell of the reliability of the amp. But I think I can be happy for the time being.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 AM

hdhoo73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King
OK, I've had the Alchemist for about two weeks now and I have to say, I think I love it. With provision. The clean channel is very nice. Nice bloom in the chords. Not quite as much top end slice as a Fender but it does remind you of the tone. Clean channel also takes pedals very nicely. Dialing in my silver LTD was a snap and it gives killer tone. The gain channel is also impressive although not as tight as I would like it. A little mushy but definitley not flubby. Tone controls are responsive and the effects (reverb and delay) are actually usable. It comes tubed with Rubys but I'm going to try some others at the recommendation of Suriel and others on the forum. A little heavier weight (65ish lbs) than I would like for sure. No cover. And the ability to go to EL type tubes would be nice, as would a master volume. Then there is the Chinese build and Best Buy thing that just kind of "feels" weird.
Only time will tell of the reliability of the amp. But I think I can be happy for the time being.

So are you still liking this amp? Did you ever swap the tubes? Mine will be here Monday...thx!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:06 PM

Still lovin it, no tube switch yet but it's probably gonna happen sometime.
Hope you dig yours.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 PM

velcro-fly is off the scale
After shrugging this amp off for a bit I finally relented and gave it a go today.... Historic R8 into the 40/20 head > matching 2x12 cab...

I really liked this amp. Pretty awesome actually. It has that Bogner "thing" and tone in spades, to me was more like a 2 channel Ecstacy. The digital reverb and delay were cool as well. The clean channel is better than the Ecstacy's, the drive is very similar to it as well, maybe like a more hot rodded Shiva. For reference I've owned an example of most of the Bogner line at one point or another.

Addressing Toms Q: about the clean v dirty tones available and balance - each channel has its own eq and master so you're not stuck making one side sound good and "living with the other"

I think that Bogner has hit a home run with this one. Good at a higher price, Best in class at the price point it sits. My only gripe is that its sort of fugly, but that's nothing a headshell swap wouldn't cure.

Plus, If I spring for this rather than the Carol Ann I'm jonesing over I can buy another Anderson
Old 01-22-2009, 05:03 PM

Thoth105 is on a distinguished road
All you people who dismiss the XTC clean channel need to come to my studio and check one out properly set up....
The circuit is a copy of a Fender. I'll grant that it sounds better with the KT88 mod, but it is a great sounding channel with EL's. I'll bet a 101A would be even more Fender-y.

Anyway, I checked out another Alchemist and liked it better than the first time I played it. I think it really wants a particular type of guitar. I've found that you have to learn to play Bogner's amps to get what you want out of them. I guess the Alchemist is the same.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Still working with this one. I've found to my distress two things.
One, the last amp I owned I did a parallel to series mod on the loop to allow the volume pedal to operate there and not suck so much tone. I think Tom gave me that idea. This amp is again a parallel loop and I can't find any instruction on doing the mod, and I dislike the volume pedal out front because of the blanket on my tone.
Secondly, I'm a pedal freak and I keep taking dirt pedals out off the board because I have a good sounding gain channel. Pretty soon I'll be down to 7 or 8 pedals. How uncool is that.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire

tom is on a distinguished road
if your volume pedal is after any buffered pedal, i put mine after my delay, it won't load the pickups(suck tone).
Old 01-23-2009, 09:16 PM

Reason 467 that you should own an Anderson. The boss is cool enough to give pedalboard advice.

Thanks Tom