Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nigel rules!

Does Nigel's "Amp capo" have a detrimental effect on the tone of his Anderson?
    GaryMac

Hollow Drop Top Koa Top on Basswood 06-22-01P
    Atom 08-11-05A
    Hollow Drop Top T Classic 04-16-09A
    "Others"

Nigel's Andersons

Sorry to go all necro but while noodling around on the net, discovered this article where Nigel's Andersons are described in a bit more details. For those who care...

http://www.spinaltapfan.com/articles/guitarworld3.html

Quote Originally Posted by dsouza.b.a View Post
    Sorry to go all necro but while noodling around on the net, discovered this article where Nigel's Andersons are described in a bit more details. For those who care...

http://www.spinaltapfan.com/articles/guitarworld3.html
    As Doyle points out, "It can be played in either half-stack or full-stack configurations." What does the added extension cabinet do? "What any extension cabinet does," shrugs Nigel. "It makes it harder to pick up."

Classic.
    LOVE YOUR AUDIENCE GTRS: Tom Anderson Crowdster + 2, Hollow CT Atom Wechter Acoustic
    Other Toys: FBT, Fishman, Line 6 (Helix Rack beta tester), Lava, Peterson, Planet Waves, etc...

Electric & Acoustic AT THE SAME TIME Electric AND Acoustic With the Variax
    My Music ~ Listen for free, buy for cheap. Electric and Acoustic at the Same Time with Helix

I'm confused, did they make another movie where Nigel is playing the Andersons? Or does the real life actor Christopher Guest use the Andersons for his own regular gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by pipedwho View Post
    I'm confused, did they make another movie where Nigel is playing the Andersons? Or does the real life actor Christopher Guest use the Andersons for his own regular gigs?
    I have seen them live (twice). The first time was the "Break Like the Wind" tour, and that's the tour this interview and info was part of. He did play his Andersons nearly the whole night when I saw them (they were amazing and hilarious at the same time).

No, they didn't make another movie (there was a TV special though).
    LOVE YOUR AUDIENCE GTRS: Tom Anderson Crowdster + 2, Hollow CT Atom Wechter Acoustic
    Other Toys: FBT, Fishman, Line 6 (Helix Rack beta tester), Lava, Peterson, Planet Waves, etc...

My Music ~ Listen for free, buy for cheap. Electric and Acoustic at the Same Time with Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
    I have seen them live (twice). The first time was the "Break Like the Wind" tour, and that's the tour this interview and info was part of. He did play his Andersons nearly the whole night when I saw them (they were amazing and hilarious at the same time).

No, they didn't make another movie (there was a TV special though).
    So the original actors play in a band called Spinal Tap, and he calls himself Nigel as part of the 'act'? Like a tribute to themselves?

That is pretty cool if they're still doing that! The Spinal Tap movie is pretty much ingrained in guitar culture. Even people that don't where 'It goes to 11' comes from, they've probably heard the expression.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedwho View Post
    So the original actors play in a band called Spinal Tap, and he calls himself Nigel as part of the 'act'? Like a tribute to themselves?

That is pretty cool if they're still doing that! The Spinal Tap movie is pretty much ingrained in guitar culture. Even people that don't where 'It goes to 11' comes from, they've probably heard the expression.
    Well, it's more of a comedy act with great music than anything. They stay in character for the whole show as if they really are Derek, David and Nigel.

The one time I saw them live, though, they had a great opening act. The Folksmen. Basically the same 3 actors in a Folk group. VERY funny.

btw, extra points if, like me, you actually saw Spinal Tap in the movie theater in its first run.

Oh, one more thing. As they were starting their song "Just Begin Again" which was a duet with Cher from "Break Like the Wind", Derek walks up to his mike and says, "This is our power ballad. FEEL THE POWER!" My brother and I laughed so hard we literally were in some discomfort, then when Cher's part of the song comes up, there's a big picture of Cher that comes up on the screen with someone's lips moving instead of hers mouthing the words that you hear from the tape of her singing. It was a painfully (literally) funny experience.

And, fwiw, one of the best orchestrated, mixed and executed rock shows you will ever see.

The second time I saw them was at Carnegie Hall in the early aughts. It was part of a comedy series.

When they did Big Bottom, they had extra guest bass players, including Will Lee and Victor Wooten. iirc, there were at least 6 or 7 people playing bass on stage. It was just amazing.

At one point they had Paul Shaffer come out to join them on a song (of course, they introduced him as Artie Fufkin). You could tell he was having way more fun than he should have been allowed to, and when he left the stage, he wouldn't leave. He went to the edge of the stage and literally stood there watching the show for the rest of the night.

Every now and then, Derek would yell "This is the first time anyone has ever ___________ at CARNEGIE F***ING HALL!!!". It was hilarious. At one point he shouts "This is the first time anyone has performed a song called 'Sex Farm' at CARNEGIE F***ING HALL!!" And then after the song he walks up to the mike and says, "I've just been informed that this was not the first time a song called 'Sex Farm' has been performed here, sadly...

Both shows are burned into my memory like crazy.

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    having a really crappy week, this thread makes me smile.

Love those guys. The movie A Mighty Wind is a lot of fun as well. It's about The Folksmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    having a really crappy week, this thread makes me smile.
    Sorry your week is crappy, glad that we made you smile.

Not as much as you and your crew made us smile this week!

Thanks pietro for sharing so much information! It is fantastic that these guys are still putting on such an awesome show.