Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: String Height/adjustment

These tools are indeed, just too cool!!... I also checked them out and immediately ordered them the very day I first read this forum...

I use to use radius gauges which measure over the strings which work, but are somewhat clumsy... the one's under are ever so much better.

The string action height radius is a phenomenal discovery... an amazing improvement!!

Thanks Stan

Bruce, so what you are saying is that the height from the top of the last two frets to the bottom of the string should be the same for all strings, making the radius checker unnecessary?

Also, in general, is a full setup:

1) adjust neck as per web site
    2) adjust saddle height
    3) adjust trem
    4) intonate

Are these in the right order? I'm completely clueless on guitar setup. . it's about time I got a clue.

Wow... that was an old posting.

Yes, There is no need for a radius gauge to measure action or set saddles... you have the frets as your ultimate radius gauge. To answer your question, we morf the 1/16'' at the 20th-21st fret so that the low E side has slighlty and gradually a larger gap compared to the high E which is at the 1/16th line. We make the low E rest on top of the line. You need really good lighting and patients.

You would want to check the items you mentioned in this order...(tuned to pitch and in playing position):

1) neck angle
    2) trem (amount of float if any)
    3) saddle / action height
    4) intonation

Neck angle affects string height at the 20th fret more than some want to think, so that is one of the reasons to "CHECK THE NECK FIRST".

I just realized I sort of repeated everything as that guy named Tom said... oh well, I'll hit the "submit reply" button anyway.
    Bruce

Thanks Bruce, that's very helpful. Your setup on the Atom made my other guitars sad.

I'm pretty good at digging up really old threads.

OK, I'm down with the saddle height.

When adjusting the truss rod, do you eye the string height at the 7th fret, actually use a business card as a gauge, use a really fine ruler with thousanths of an inch, or something else?

Using the 64ths of an inch part of a ruler, .003 inches (from the .003 to .006 inches at the 7th fret from the neck adjustment page) is .192/64 inches. Is the space really that small. . wow.

Doh! Just found the answer (maybe) to my previous question. Do folks use feeler gauges to adjust the truss rod?

You know, sometimes it's kind of nice to have a conversation with yourself.

When I adjust the necks I don't use any feeler gauges or ruler. I fret the sting at the 15th and 1st fret, and use my index finger at the 7th fret to see and feel if there is any relief. When the strings just about don't touch the 7th fret , I'm done with adjusting the neck. Then the neck is pretty straight. Don't know if it's possible to get it any straighter without some serious buzzing. Just my method of doing things, but it works for me

Use your eyes... feeler gauges are not that acurate in this aplication because the gauge can just slide under the string and you won't have any resistance to measure from which is how feeler gauges work.

Using your eyes, having good lighting is key here. The method Yngve uses is the same as we do at the shop.

May the force be with you....
    Bruce

Individual saddle adjustment screw height

Hi
    In an TA with individual string saddle height adjustments, each saddle has two screws.
    I always struggle to make sure that both screws per saddle are at the same height. I use a vernier caliper to measure height at each end of the saddle to see that each saddle is parallel to the base plate. Is this required ? Is there an easier way ?
    thanks
    sanjay

I just eyeball mine.