Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Truss rod adjustment

No complaints - go for it, Tom! I think it will be much better in the long run, assuming tone is the same or better - will just add functionality. Thanks for really listening to your customers, too - great customer service once again!
    1 John 3:16

WOW!! I'm astounded that Tom and co. are taking my original question so seriously. That is really amazing customer service, and I would love to order a hollow drop top if and when the change is made....vintage yellow, or natural, or.............

I have no problems with making the neck adjustment in the current position!! At first I thought it was an inconvenience, now it's been real easy to deal with......

Everything Matters!

Facebook

John,

If I recall correctly you're Andy has a maple board. Tom has told me that the necks with maple boards actually are easier to adjust because the truss rod sits a bitter higher in these necks.

I'm still waiting for the Vaco offset driver I ordered, hopefully it will be small enough. I did speak to my father-in-law the other niht and he is willing to attempt to design/fabricate me an adjusting tool. I'll keep everyone posted on what comes out of this!

Stan

Latest Update:

Good News...Bad News. The smaller Vaco offset driver arrived today. It is still not small enough to fit directly into the slot of the truss rod nut without holding it at an angle. I put some heat shrink tubing around the bend of the driver to cushion the area where the driver meets the pickguard. I tried it on a three of my Andersons with the following results:

1) Maple Board Classic - worked great. The TR slots were in a position where they were easily accessable.
    2) Rosewood Board HDTC - didn't work. The slots of the the truss rod were in a position that didn't allow insertion of the driver.
    3) Rosewood Board Classic - worked OK, but not great. No damage to the pickguard, but the TR nut got a little mangled.

I again tried the recommended TAG method with the long screwdriver - I just am too uncoordinated to make it work.

Conclusion - I got used to taking the necks off and adjusting the TR - it works for me and I have never damaged any part of my Andersons using this method.

I realize I'm resuscitating this "retired" thread but I came across this today and although both Tom and John have moved the truss opening to the headstocks, this tool combined with a 3/16" flat end would probably do the job.

Maybe us "ancient" TA owners could convince the powers that be to create such a device.

I know, I won't be holding my breath.

http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#100188

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    this is our 5th year of headstock adjust so a new tool is not likely going to happen for older stuff. for 20 years we made the flat driver work for us.

It really is not that hard to take the neck off.

All the Anderson guitars I have that are pre owned have scratches from guys using "the tool." Unless you are REALLY good at it just take the neck off. All you need is a capo and a screwdriver.
    Sometimes the silence between the notes is more important...

Just remember one screw is LONGER! Be sure to put it back where it came from. They are not like Fender with all screws the same length.
    Sometimes the silence between the notes is more important...

Talking The Twilight Zone

Was reading this thread for several minutes believing that I was in an alternate universe where adjustments are made at the pickguard end of the neck. I was relieved to discover that the thread is several years old. Thought somebody, me or yousguys, was trippin.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff h
    Was reading this thread for several minutes believing that I was in an alternate universe where adjustments are made at the pickguard end of the neck. I was relieved to discover that the thread is several years old. Thought somebody, me or yousguys, was trippin.

Me too. I was thinking I was crazy because I just adjusted my Classic T the other day along with my Cobra S, and remembered they were both the same.

Quote Originally Posted by killerburst View Post
    Perhaps we do need a class. I bought a Craftsman 8" long 3/16" wide flat head screwdriver just for my HDT, dremeled the edges round and polished it up nicely so there are no sharp angles around the head, except the very tip. I tried with everything in me to do as you suggest, based on the tech tip on your website, but couldn't get the nut to rotate when using the screwdriver as a lever. I have to take the neck off, for fear of slipping and gouging my instrument (not to mention my guitar). What do you suggest be used as the point of fulcrum? The neck pickup? Any help is apppreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon Stafford

I agree that we need a visual demo. If its not too difficult for you Tom, could you please create a video demo please ? That would be very helpful
    warmly
    sanjay

Created a custom screw driver for truss rod adjustment

I just created this screwdriver that fits pretty well into the truss rod screw adjustment located at the neck joint of my TA 12-02-03. I believe I am modestly successful here. If it helps anyone bless me !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fGmkCrKQo

Truss rod adjustment (access at neck joint) for Tom Anderson guitars
    ===========================================
    You will need a strong set of pliers and a flat head screwdriver - head is 4/16 width and a little less than 2/32 thick. Use a kitchen gas stove to heat the tip of the screwdriver and after you see it get kind of hot (it will darken bluish black as well), bend the tip with the pliers. Be careful it does not slip out of the grip of the pliers. Use UTMOST CAUTION while doing this. After the screwdriver tip is bent, leave it outside in the garden on top of a landscape rock to cool down by natural air. Should take about 30 minutes to cool down completely.

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    the audio was too low for me to hear what you were saying, but we use a screwdriver that is only half the width of the nut. that way you only have to access the top half of the nut. i think your solution still runs the risk of hitting the paint in the notch.

i'll have to see if i can find an old guitar here to make a video on.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    i'll have to see if i can find an old guitar here to make a video on.
    That would be fantastic!