Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truss rod adjustment

Truss rod adjustment

Just curious.....
    Why is the Cobra the only Andy with the truss rod adjustment at the headstock? It is SO much easier to access compared to the other models. Can the other models be special ordered with truss rod access at the headstock?

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    baritom's and crowdster's also have headstock adjustment. we have talked a lot about moving the adjustment to the headstock for all models. there are a couple issues. #1 is floyd rose equipped guitars. if it is moved, you would not be able to adjust the neck without moving the string retainer. i know floyds are in the minority these days, but we still do enough of them that i wouldn't want to make the rods inaccessable(i long for spell check).
    the other issue may seem silly, but there is a lot of resistance because it wouldn't look "vintage". i know we are not the company with the large F on the headstock. how do you all feel about this? for us at the shop, it is no problem to adjust necks on the guitar. we have these 8" long 3/16" wide blade screw drivers that fit in nicely, but we do it all the time so we are used to it. let me know your thoughts on this.

Tom,

I have constructed the tool you suggest but still end up butchering the pickguard on my Classics. I have actually reverted to removing the neck and adjusting it that way to avoid damage. My Cobra on the other hand....easy adjustment.

I would have no problem losing "the vintage look". The fact is I bought my Andersons because of the improvements you have made to the classic Strat design while maintaining the classic Strat tone.

BTW Roy (maybe) hangs up on me every time I call to complain about truss rod ajustment!

sounds lke we need a training class here at the shop for neck adjusting. anybody up for a visit? seriously, no seriously, ..really seriously, it's not that hard. use the screwdriver like a lever not a screwdriver.

Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
    Tom,

I have constructed the tool you suggest but still end up butchering the pickguard on my Classics. I have actually reverted to removing the neck and adjusting it that way to avoid damage. My Cobra on the other hand....easy adjustment.

I would have no problem losing "the vintage look". The fact is I bought my Andersons because of the improvements you have made to the classic Strat design while maintaining the classic Strat tone.
    I have had the same experience as Stan (and I agree with him 100%). I ground down the sides of a long screwdriver to avoid damaging the pickguard, but I was still nicking it, so I loosened the neck to get better access. The neck didn't want to come out even with the screws off -- that's a tight neck pocket! I actually couldn't get it off, but I moved it about half of 1mm, which was enough to get the screwdriver in safely.
    Joe

I would definitely vote to have the truss road opening at the top like the cobras-it's so much easier. When I used to have a Hollow T-I found myself always wanting to adjust the rod but I didn't want to ruin the finish. So, I used to ask my dealer to adjust it for me-he could do it really quickly without taking the neck off, so he must have taken training classes at the Anderson factory!

I also forgot to ask since Tom didn't really answer Steve's last question-but can one special order a non cobra with the truss rod opening at the end?

we would have to change tooling to make long scales with the other end adjuster. we'll start new discusions here to see about a change.

Originally posted by tom
    sounds lke we need a training class here at the shop for neck adjusting. anybody up for a visit? seriously, no seriously, ..really seriously, it's not that hard. use the screwdriver like a lever not a screwdriver.
    Perhaps we do need a class. I bought a Craftsman 8" long 3/16" wide flat head screwdriver just for my HDT, dremeled the edges round and polished it up nicely so there are no sharp angles around the head, except the very tip. I tried with everything in me to do as you suggest, based on the tech tip on your website, but couldn't get the nut to rotate when using the screwdriver as a lever. I have to take the neck off, for fear of slipping and gouging my instrument (not to mention my guitar). What do you suggest be used as the point of fulcrum? The neck pickup? Any help is apppreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon Stafford
    It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission

Didn't mean to start a ruckus....
    Personally if I wanted the "vintage" look, I'd probably buy a vintage guitar. My hollow Cobra S is an amazing beast, and though because of it I'd like to order more TA's, I REALLY dislike when the trussrod adjustment is at the body end of the neck. Evidently a few others feel the same way...
    At least the Cobra and Crowdster that I plan on buying have the adjustment at the headstock.

Originally posted by tom
    #1 is floyd rose equipped guitars. if it is moved, you would not be able to adjust the neck without moving the string retainer.
    As a Floyd fan, and a fan of headstock-adjust truss rods, this concerns me. Wouldn't a longer Allen wrench permit access to the nut without removing the retainer bar?
    It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission

I like the design that John Suhr and Ernie Ball have for truss rod adjustment at the heel.

JS has the tr nut manufactured to accept a hex head (allen) wrench that he supplies with the guitar. Allen wrench is inserted at the neck heel/body recess and bam, easy adjustment.

EB has a truss rod nut which looks like a wheel with holes around the outside (think of the tread area of a tire). Stick a rod into a convient hole and rotate to adjust the truss rod.

The screwdrivers that Tom has mentioned must be magical because I have tried just about every size and shape and it just seems imposible. I have no choice but to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod.

I have however come up with a way to minimize the amount of times that it needs adjusting. I try to adjust the truss rod when there has been a string of really humid days. Do this with 10s or 11s you will see why in a bit (BEAR WITH ME HERE) I adjust it as straight as possible with very little or no relief at all. as the humidity dissapated the neck will move in the direction of string pull and cause some negligible relief. I have found that if the neck is adjusted this way the action will move 1/64th of an inch or less between humid seasons ie summer and dry seasons ie winter.

The action will move slowly therfore allowing you to get use to it over time. Its not like changing your string gauge from 9s to 11s and all of a sudden there is this massive up bow on the neck.

If you like your action to remain consistent another trick is that if you use 10s or 11s in the summer use 9s inplace of 10s and 10 inplace of 9s in the winter . The lighter string pull of the 9s or 10s (depending on your starting gauge in the summer) will counteract the upbow caused by the lack of humidity in the winter time. But be sure to change back to 10s or 11s in the summer time because you will most likley get backbow and there will be string buzz.

If done correctly this technique will aloow you to only have to adjust the rod once every 2 years or so even if you leave it strung to tension, wich certaintly beats removing it every six months and having to go through a complete setup, while you could be playing instead.

anyway as you can see I have way too much time on my hands.

my andersons are

1. Hollow drop top 06-18-00a A trans Black/Tortoise koa top
    2. Drop Top 08-02-01a in purple
    3. Drop Top 07-24-01p in cajun magenta
    4. My personal favorite and guitar of the week for 9/15/02 and 9/29/02 is a Drop Top 09-04-02a with an insane quilt top in cajun magenta.

it's really not a magic tool. we do it every day lots of times. but i have gottn the message that it's too tough for the players out there. i'll be working on a solution we can all live with.

I posted this on another truss rod topic but here it is again!
    I found this tool from Sears that comes with most of the tool packages these day's and it has a right angled phillips side and a right angled flat side, now the phillips side is too big but the flat side fits in just enough to make the adjustment without touching the guitar!

Everything Matters!

Facebook