Thread: Thoughts on an H2+ replacement option

Question Thoughts on an H2+ replacement option

Hey, I would describe myself as having an on-again, off-again relationship w/ my H2+ that I've had for ~20 yrs. Some days I love what it brings to the table on clean tones and when split, but there's also this "thickness" and maybe a bit of a dark/harshness w/ this pickup that rubs me the wrong way sometimes w/ gain/distortion. I should mention that I do like it better w/ certain amps than others. Anyway, I still *love* the sound of the split SA1's in this pickguard and I'm debating swapping the H2+ w/ either an HF2 or maybe an H2. I've been looking at the EQ numbers on the site and still scratching my head. I do have an HC1+ in a different guitar and really enjoy it, but I can't find much about how these balance w/ the SAs. I suspect either pickup would sound "new" to my ear for a while and would solve the immediate problem. I'm leaning towards the HF2, but I'm curious what others think as these seem to usually be paired w/ the SCs now. .....am I over thinking this? (I suspect I am)

Cheers,
    Ben

Hey Ben, thanks for your honest post! I don't have experience with the H2 or HF2, but at the end of the day, it may be worth it for you to try a pickup swap and see what you think....probably the HF2 for a more different experience...different magnets and EQ curve. But, to me, what you bring up really resonates because of the journey we're on moreso than the thing itself. I know in my experience, there are certain little "things" in either sound or feel of my guitars that I can get fixated on. A think a lot of it ends up being between my ears, and my approach is usually after tweaking or fiddling with things a bit just to step back, and given the fact I know I have invested in good guitars, I come back and find many good things all over again...and many times what I thought was an issue actually sounds fine or even really amazing and all is right again. In your case, you have a 20 year history with this, and sometimes things have moved enough where we just need to make a change. Let us know how it all goes!
    Bobcat - 01-11-22C
    Crowdster +2 - 12-18-07N
    Martin 000-18 Golden Era
    AER Compact 60
    DIY Pedal Board
    Friedman Custom Shop Runt-20 w/ Twin Sister Mod

Update

Ok, I finally got my act together an got an HF2. I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but holy $@#! I'm loving this. Instantly, everything about the guitar *right*. I think it balances great with the SA1 & SA1R that were in the original guard. That was my main concern, and for anyone else considering this, let me assure you that these sound great together. I always liked the split sound on the H2+, but the splits on the HF2 are every bit as good if not better. I'm terrible with words to describe pickup sounds, but this definitely lessens the "harshness" that was bothering me w/ the H2+.

I do enjoy how these pickups age. Here's a shot of my old & kinda gross H2+: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DWhKMqZ4LdhiRg3k6
    Here she is w/ the new HF2: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aHbsq8bjy9vnSxrv8

...looks pretty great for a 21 yr old guitar that's been through a ton of gigs!

Amazing -- glad to hear that you're enjoying the new pickup! Nice looking guitar, too!
    Bobcat - 01-11-22C
    Crowdster +2 - 12-18-07N
    Martin 000-18 Golden Era
    AER Compact 60
    DIY Pedal Board
    Friedman Custom Shop Runt-20 w/ Twin Sister Mod