Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some quick Classic advice please

Some quick Classic advice please

After several years of wandering in the guitar wilderness, I am looking to return to the TA fold. My current guitar is a non-TA "Strat-like" with a Hipshot Trem (can dive to zero), 24 frets, and HSS pickups. One twist- position 3 is neck+split bridge (south), which is a nice alternative tone. Anyway, I am looking to go more into a Strat, so I am thinking a TA Classic with Vintage Trem. Questions:

1) Pickups- I think I want to go with the popular SC1-SC1-SC3 configuration. I want to have a more traditional Strat tone, but since I am playing in a studio (thru a Kemper with headphones), it really needs to be noiseless. Looking for a beautiful, "bluesy" neck pickup tone, and good chimy split 2/4 tones. Occasional "surf guitar" in the bridge. Good choice?

2) Neck- for me, definitely rosewood fretboard. My only real question is Even Taper vs Even Taper Plus 30. I would like to have some more depth to the neck, but not a baseball bat. I have been assured the neck shape is a "C" as opposed to a "D." My current guitar has more of a "D" neck and is .792" at the first fret, and feels a bit flat yet awkward dealing with the "D" shoulder. I have average to slightly small size hands, need to use my thumb on occasion. Can't try a TA locally, because all they have are 62 Pete, 50s V-Small, 60s Vibe, etc. which doesn't help me much. I am leaning toward Plus 30; is the difference between Even Taper and Plus 30 subtle, or significant?

Thank you kindly!

I would strongly suggest getting your hands on the 62 Pete if you want a smaller profile that's comfy for thumb over the low E. You might love it. I played one for years. I bumped up to the slightly larger 60s vibe now and love it too. I have average to slightly below hands too. I like the even taper okay but it isn't as comfy thumb over. And I play thumb over a LOT.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a guitar with a similar neck, but wasnít a fan of how it became thicker at the 12th fret.

I have SC1's in the Neck and Middle and I love them. I have a hum bucker (HF1+) in the bridge so I can't comment on the SC3, but when I was thinking about this guitar, Tom recommended the SC3 for the bridge position if I went with a single coil.

Yeah, my current (non-TA) guitar is SSH; if I were a gigging musician I would opt for that, but lately I have been moving toward the SSS concept to really nail those 2/4 tones. Eventually I may want to get a Cobra or Cobra Special to do the humbucker thing. Also, Roy told me that having 24 frets really "ruins" the tone of a neck single coil.

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    i wouldn't say ruins, but different for sure. if the strat neck pickup sound is your fav sound in the world, don't get 24 frets. i actually kinda like the sound of the neck humbucker moved a bit closer to the bridge.

LOL, I was literally quoting Roy when I spoke to him this past January...!

So what about the Plus 30? I am leaning in that direction, but there is a Classic currently on eBay that fits my specs exactly except it is regular Even Taper. Really wish there were some way to compare them to be sure.

the +.030 is not a D shape for sure. what i tell people is that if you had the two side by side, the +.03 is a noticeable amount deeper, not not a huge amount deeper. when i'm playing guitars, i sometimes have to look to see which it is. the taper is the same, so if you're thinking you want it a bit deeper, it would be the likely choice.

Thanks again Tom!

Well, the eBay seller accepted my offer, so now the neck dimension question is moot; Even Taper it is! Now I have another entirely relevant question:

This guitar is going from South Florida to the Arizona Desert. I do plan on storing it in its case with a humidifier, but do you have any other advice or caveats with regard to it "acclimating?" Thx!

no, that should keep it in good shape. i would not be surprised if you had to do a slight neck adjustment, taking a bit of tension off.

Great! I have been using an Oasis Plus+ case humidifier, but I am also going to look into the Boveda packs. The humidity is currently ranging between 10-24%, and it hasn't even gotten that hot here in AZ yet.

Wow thatís getting pretty low. We have that problem here in Montana in the winter with the furnace running hard all day and night from the extreme cold. I started running a humidifier upstairs and another downstairs. Makes a big difference for the guitars and just general comfort all around.

In the summer, in the late afternoon, humidity gets as low as 3%. Seriously. Today at 5 PM it will be 7%, but just after sunrise it will briefly hit 35%.

Well, that didn't take long, here it is:

Olympic white, it looks yellower in this pic. I ended up with Even Taper, and it feels great, I think the Plus 30 might have proven to be a shade too big. Either way, the C shape is much more comfortable to play, and I can hold chords or hook my thumb over easier than my current guitar which is a thinner D shape. Now it just needs some oil to the fret board, new strings, and I need to readjust the pickup height back to starting positions.

Even my wife likes it (as long as I play songs in major keys, and don't bend notes...)!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by marzzz; 05-28-2020 at 10:28 PM.

to quote a wise sage, "you can't make any money playin' above the 12th fret". wife also agrees with that statement.