Thread: Kirk Hammett - Tom Anderson Pro Am reunion (sort of)

Kirk Hammett - Tom Anderson Pro Am reunion (sort of)

Last edited by dsouza.b.a; 03-08-2019 at 05:09 PM.

That's actually how I got curious about Tom Anderson guitars way back when was seeing pics of Kirk with those Pro-Ams.

Quote Originally Posted by BFC View Post
    That's actually how I got curious about Tom Anderson guitars way back when was seeing pics of Kirk with those Pro-Ams.
    Yeah me too. Here are the other details I was able to get from the guys:

- Sarge (sticker on back of headstock) comes from the nickname of a guy they had on their crew. I wasn't able to determine if he named the guitar or the guitar was named after him

- I forgot to ask Kirk if he ever used it live but he said he did use it on St. Anger but couldn't remember which songs. He commented how he loved the neck

- I asked why it had the passive humbucker when I got it and the extra pots in the cavity. He said he was experimenting with a passive pickup because he thought it sounded better in the guitar (I will admit I think the EMGs in it sound way too hot personally)

- He confirmed he did buy it at Lab Sound in Orange Co at the same time as the B&W (grey) one off the wall

- He gave the B&W (grey) one to Lee Altus of Exodus

- He is thrilled the guitar ended up in the hands of someone who plays it

- James confirmed he did use one of the 2 Pro-Ams on the intro to Enter Sandman because it sounded so sparkly but he couldn't remember which one so there is a 50% chance it's this one. I personally think it is the grey one because that is what we saw in the studio all the time on the Year and a Half documentary. The only studio pics I have seen of this one were St Anger era. He actually said the intro was a blend of 4 different guitars. Kirk wasn't sure which one either because he said he wasn't in the studio when James was laying the tracks.

That's really cool you got to meet them and talk guitars.

That's really cool you got to meet them and talk guitars.
    It was a dream come true. They were all super cool. I showed Kirk a video of me playing creeping death and he said I nailed the solo. How cool is that so be able to show your guitar hero a video of you playing their song. He actually said he plays the part with the ascending hammer ons completely on the D string though, "for effect." We also discussed the pros and cons of sweep picking the intro to the Leper Messiah solo. He also told us about some of his new ESPs he has coming next week.

James was cool too. He said he recently discovered he likes sanded down necks the best. I told him that's funny because literally after the first of the year I decided I prefer my gloss necks to satin finished. He also said the Bigsby LP he is using is a reissue that was reliced by Bill Nash who he said does a lot of relicing for the band. I asked him who has the best burst, him or Kirk. He really had to think about that but commented he loved the aging on Greenie.

I'd love to meet those guys.

I'd love to meet those guys.
    Well if you decide to pony up the cash for the Hardwired package, I will say it's worth every penny. I want to do it again. Good thing they probably won't be back in the US for another 5 years.