Thread: Sound through amp when volume knob off

Sound through amp when volume knob off

So I know the fix for this is to get a volume pedal on the board, but trying to save space and just understand why it happens. Never happened until the last 6 months or so.

I play a solid short DT with HF1+/HF3+ pickups (so hot pickups). I love them.

I use my volume knob a lot.

For one song I do a volume swell starting with the volume know turned all the way off then I hit the 12th fret harmonics on all strings and raise the volume for an ambient-type sound.

Then volume down, hit harmonics again, and volume swell again.

What is new is when I hit the harmonics with the volume turned all the way down, I get a scratchy type sound out of my amp (clearly triggered by my picking across the strings).

To my amateur mind, it sounds as if there is still some potential energy in my "system" that is getting released when striking the strings and overcoming the volume level?

I am playing through a clean Fender BJ with my KOT overdrive on (hot). Xotic wah first in chain, then turbo tuner. Analogman ARDX20 is last in chain. Elixir cables in and out. George L's mostly for connectors.

It used to be quiet until last year. Is this the volume pot (not scratchy when turning)? Interestingly, when the volume is turned all the way down, I can't hear anything when picking a single note or fretted chord (i.e. a D chord).

I have a short sound clip but not sure how to post it.

Thanks for any info. G
    hT-classic, Bulldog PQs, shortDropTop, Bulldog HCs

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    sounds like it could be a static build up if you're not getting and sound when picking the strings. volume pots are not what they were 30 years ago, so it could be the pot but if it were, i'd expect to hear sound when strings are picked.

have you tried bypassing any of the effects or cables to see if one is causing it?

Yes, I do still get the sound when I plug straight into the amp. It does seem to go away if I leave the volume down and strike the strings multiple times. (by the third or fourth strum it's gone).

Do I get a new volume pot?

Thanks,
    G

the fact that it dissipates makes me think static, but that usually only happens on pickguard guitars in really dry conditions. you might try the solution for static, wipe down the guitar with a dryer sheet like bounce or if you happen to have the anti static spray, spray that on a cloth and wipe it down as i've herd from a few people that it works better. please let me know if that does it.

OK I'll give it a try and let you know.

I do live in a very dry climate.

G

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    the fact that it dissipates makes me think static, but that usually only happens on pickguard guitars in really dry conditions. you might try the solution for static, wipe down the guitar with a dryer sheet like bounce or if you happen to have the anti static spray, spray that on a cloth and wipe it down as i've herd from a few people that it works better. please let me know if that does it.
    Utah is super dry and I have to do the static spray from time to time here. Works like a charm as Tom says.
    Guitars:
    Anderson Drop Top, Short Classic T, Classic S, Bulldog, Pro Am

Amps:
    3rd Power Kitchen Sink
    Kemper Profiling Amp
    Atomic CLR Wedge
    Henning Bottle Rocket
    Bogner Oversized 2x12

Looks like we were down for a bit. Maybe some NAMM overload?

Anyway, wanted to update my problem.

Ordered some Deoxit D5 online (nowhere here had it) and opened the back of the guitar, gave a quick spray into the volume pot. Rotated the knob a bunch and . . . .

no more static noise when the volume pot is off! I never had scratching when I turned the knob anyways, but now no noises when I pick across my strings with the volume turned all the way down.

Thanks for all your help!!

Been drooling over all the TAG pics at NAMM this year. Like the new distress look, can't wait to see one in person.

GDane

that stuff can be magic.