Thread: Loxx straplocks ???

Loxx straplocks ???

Has anyone tried Loxx straplocks on their Anderson or any other guitar ?

I've always used Dunlop Straplocks and although I've never had a problem
    I recently discovered that they put the strap in a position that's uncomfortable.
    It never occurred to me that the straplock was to blame until I tried a friends Strat that has no locks at all.
    He uses the Strap with the original buttons and the guitar felt much more comfortable.

I've had 2 straps fail without straplocks , inc my vocal coach's new bass a few weeks ago, which cost
    me 450 to repair the damage.

I've been looking for alternatives to the Dunlop and the only type that puts the strap in the correct position
    are Loxx. I've been researching them and can't find any negative comments but that could be either there aren't any
    or the manufacturer deletes anything negative.
    The design is very clever but I'm nervous about trusting my beloved Andersons to a small pin.

Any opinions ??

We used to sell them in the store. They are really really nice strap locks. The company has been sold a few times and now I dont know who sells them now. Hopefully they will get back on the radar screen, as I think they are great Strap locks.
    Jack Gretz
    http://www.nemusiccenter.com
    PRIDE- Doing what needs to be done, when no one is around to watch
    1-570-909-9216-STORE
    1-570-909-9576-FAX
    e-mail at jgretz@nemusiccenter.com

I love them and have them on all my guitars including my acoustics. I even drilled an extra hole below the end pin jack in my main acoustic so I could have them on that guitar too.

Pros: Easy on/off, excellent quality, look great, low profile (strap is close to the guitar), 'fail safe' (so if screw comes undone the strap stays between the lock and the guitar), subtle while on the strap, not noisy/squeaky like some others can get, come in a variety of colours and metals (eg. stainless steel), decent sized screw that won't pull/strip out like the tiny Schaller screw can in some guitars.

Cons: like any strap lock they are heavy/hard enough to marr the guitar finish if you swing the unattached strap around and smack into the guitar, the guitar can't be used with a regular strap that doesn't have the Loxx on the strap, like other strap locks for the most reliable install you need to punch/drill out the strap hole to 10mm diamater to properly fit the lock onto the strap, not cheap.

The cons are true of most of the other strap locks too, but for me the pros far outweigh them compared to other locks or no lock at all. The company that manufacturers these also have versions for sewing to bags (both sides), marine grade for sails/canopies with different attachments, automotive for soft tops, and other miscellaneous bits and pieces. I picked up a bunch of individual non-packaged guitar-side parts from a marine supplier so I didn't have to buy extra bits I didn't need for all my triple strap pin Andersons. I even bought some other bits to make some removable shoulder straps for a gig bag, and some bits to 'rig' up some pannier bag mounts on my bicycle.

Anyway, I've never had issues with them in any of the finishes I've bought them with. The Gold finish ones stay shiny, the nickel ones tarnish like real nickel, the chrome ones stay shiny, the black ones stay black and haven't corroded in the years I've had them. Basically, an all-around high quality part that works as expected without fuss or fanfare.
    Last edited by pipedwho; 06-19-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Thank you both.

I think I'll give them a try. I was nervous about the pin attachment being strong enough.
    It seems the reason I can't find any negative comments is that there aren't any !
    Impressive.

You're going to love them. They are insanely strong. You definitely don't have to worry about the pin breaking off. It looks small, but it's as tough as the screw holding it to the wood, which being German steel is probably tougher than the guitar it's attached to!

I used the Music Man Strap locks for years. I wanted to start keeping my straps on so I switched to grolsch bottle tops and to be extra safe switched my strap pins to the over size ones Suhr uses. I have been very happy with the results
    Current TAGs
    Cobra (Trem) w/ PH1- / H2
    Crowdster
    Bobcat w/ HC1/HC3

Former TAGs,
    Short Drop Top Mongrel w/ H3, SC1, SC1
    Cobra (RW Neck and board) H1- / H2+
    HDTC w/ H02, SA1, SA1 and maple board
    HTC w/ HC-1 / TM2 and maple board
    Classic w/ H3, M1, M1

I haven't used strap locks in years. The truth is I'm too damn short to spin my guitar around my back. Headstock hits the floor every time.

I gigged the Loxx for a few weeks and found that the rear "button" caused the strap to rub against the body and left no room to pass the guitar cable through the strap. Dunlop definitely better for that.
    I liked the one on the top horn so I've ended up with a Loxx on the top horn and Dunlop on the bottom horn.
    This lets the guitar sit better against the body and also pass the cable through the strap button without rubbing against the guitar body.

I switched to Grolsch bottle washers a while back and would not be happier. To be dbl safe I switched the strap buttons to the extra large ones that Suhr uses
    Current TAGs
    Cobra (Trem) w/ PH1- / H2
    Crowdster
    Bobcat w/ HC1/HC3

Former TAGs,
    Short Drop Top Mongrel w/ H3, SC1, SC1
    Cobra (RW Neck and board) H1- / H2+
    HDTC w/ H02, SA1, SA1 and maple board
    HTC w/ HC-1 / TM2 and maple board
    Classic w/ H3, M1, M1

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    I gigged the Loxx for a few weeks and found that the rear "button" caused the strap to rub against the body and left no room to pass the guitar cable through the strap. Dunlop definitely better for that.
    I liked the one on the top horn so I've ended up with a Loxx on the top horn and Dunlop on the bottom horn.
    This lets the guitar sit better against the body and also pass the cable through the strap button without rubbing against the guitar body.
    Didn't think of that. That's definitely a plus for the strap locks that stand off the strap from the guitar. It didn't really occur to me, because I always gig with a wireless transmitter attached to the strap. And when I use a cable at home I don't move around much, so I didn't really consider it rubbing away the finish or wearing out the cord. The Loxx are basically the same in this regard as not using a strap lock, as the strap is nearly flush with the guitar.

However, years ago I bought a 'Loxx 6 Screw Set' replacement pin pack for the guitar side that had a couple of extra pins in there that were stood off with a separate strap groove for using with normal straps. I found it annoying because I don't like stood off strap locks, but it would be the perfect solution for your cable-through-the-strap use case.

I've also attached it locally if that link should disappear:
    H83455000001000-00-500x500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pipedwho View Post
    Didn't think of that. That's definitely a plus for the strap locks that stand off the strap from the guitar. It didn't really occur to me, because I always gig with a wireless transmitter attached to the strap. And when I use a cable at home I don't move around much, so I didn't really consider it rubbing away the finish or wearing out the cord. The Loxx are basically the same in this regard as not using a strap lock, as the strap is nearly flush with the guitar.

However, years ago I bought a 'Loxx 6 Screw Set' replacement pin pack for the guitar side that had a couple of extra pins in there that were stood off with a separate strap groove for using with normal straps. I found it annoying because I don't like stood off strap locks, but it would be the perfect solution for your cable-through-the-strap use case.

I've also attached it locally if that link should disappear:
    H83455000001000-00-500x500.jpg
    Thanks for that, worth looking at.