Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After about 20+ yrs of waiting, working on my 1st Anderson spec

After about 20+ yrs of waiting, working on my 1st Anderson spec

Hello folks,

I am working on spec'ing a TA. I first played one probably over 25 yrs ago at Swissvale Music in PA and have wanted one ever since. I had some questions that I hope members here or TAG folks can answer. I would like to go hollow, probably H2+ in the bridge and PQ1 in the neck. I'd like the original Floyd (w/o the tuners) and no locking nut. Medium frets. 60s vibe +.04.

Body type:
    Is there a difference in tone b/w S and T style?

Body wood:
    I'm on the fence b/w alder/alder, primavera/primavera, and alder/ash. I tend to like thick and bold more than airy and pretty. From what I've read primavera would fit the bill. But, would a hollow prima end up being lightweight (like 7-7.5 lbs)? Any comments on the differences b/w those 3 wood types?

Neck wood:
    I have a good sense of how maple/maple and maple/RW would sound with alder or ash. How would they sound with primavera? How would maple/ziricote change things? I'm guessing ziricote is sort of like ebony?

Paint:
    I'd like vintage green for this. What is the difference b/w seafoam green and surf green?
    How do you spec for headstock to match guitar color?

Pickups:
    How hot is the H3? Considering it as well as the H2+. Just don't want to go too hot. But, like I said, I like thick and bold. How does it compare to more common pickups, like the Duncan JB?

Bridge:
    On the spec sheet, is "recessed floating tremolo - locking saddles" the vintage Floyd that Mesa seems to spec on a lot of their guitars? Just want to order the right one.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Robert

Sounds like a nice spec. The necks a bit bulky for my tastes :-). Iíd recommend the H2+. Itís my favorite HB ever. Great drive but still gives beautiful cleans when you dial it back a bit. It also splits nicely for Straty tones in the 2 and 4 position.Good luck!
    Tiger Eye Hollow Drop Top, Hollow T (with M's), Gold Dust Classic (SSS), Honeyburst Bulldog, Carved Top Bengal Burst Suhr Modern (Floyd), Strandberg Boden OS7, Fractal Audio Axe FX XL, Mesa Boogie Triaxis/2:90, Mesa Boogie Lonestar, other stuff :-)

Some of those are def Tom questions since the tone wood and Fret board wood are not out there in groves. I cannot stand the H2+. Just my personal preference. I hear other ppl play it and it sounds great but when I play it I just donít like it. I own the H3 and H2 and like both of them. H3 is thicker sounding than the 2+ but to my ears the +2 has more high end sizzle which I donít like. If you are into the JB though you probably want HF not H. I would say HF2 or even the HF1+
    Current TAGs
    Cobra (Trem) w/ PH1- / H2
    Crowdster
    Bobcat w/ HC1/HC3

Former TAGs,
    Short Drop Top Mongrel w/ H3, SC1, SC1
    Cobra (RW Neck and board) H1- / H2+
    HDTC w/ H02, SA1, SA1 and maple board
    HTC w/ HC-1 / TM2 and maple board
    Classic w/ H3, M1, M1

Thanks for the info! just to clarify - not really a fan of the JB, was just using it as an example of a pickup that we've probably all had some exposure to and wondering how the Anderson H line compares to that in terms of output. I find the JB to be pretty hot, and kind of mid-honky, IMO, YMMV, etc.

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    many people who feel the way you do about the JB love the H2+. it's just a tiny bit hotter too, but if you don't need it quite as hot as the jb, H2 is great. both are clearer in the bottom with a smoother top end.

the recessed floater is the baby floyd.

as for the dif in sound between the S and T body shapes, it is small enough that i would always say choose the shape that is more comfortable for you as it that will have a bigger impart on how much you enjoy the guitar

are you sold on hollow because it's lighter or because you like some middle scooped out?

we have not made a prima body in years, but still have some here. it's like if ash and mahogany had a baby, a little like mid scooped mahogany, a more articulate than fat sounding wood.

surf green is sea foam green with white added to make it more pastel.

let me know if that prompts more questions.

Thanks, Tom! Very helpful info. Sounds like primavera won't do the trick for me, then.

Re: the hollow body - mainly interested in it for weight reduction, but the alder/alder description as "big" also caught my eye. Kind of leaning this way now, unless you think I'm on the wrong path with hollow.

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    all alder is a nice hollow. alder has more middle to give than most.

Sounds like a great guitar you're building. I have an H2+ in my Drop Top and an H3 in a Bulldog and Pro Am. The H3 is my all time favorite humbucker. It isn't as hot as you might think. I think it is well balanced. I just love it!! Of the two color finishes you mentioned I am a fan of the Surf Green. I like the whiter version of that particular green and think it would look amazing on an S or a T. Either way, both colors are great!!

Seafoam Green

Surf Green
    Guitars:
    Anderson Drop Top, Short Classic T, Classic S, Bulldog x 2, Pro Am

Amps:
    Kemper Profiling Amp
    Atomic CLR Wedge
    Henning Bottle Rocket
    Bogner Oversized 2x12

Those colours also look great with tortoise pick guards.

Thanks again to all for the assist. Probably going with Pro Am for a non-pickguard look. Couple other questions come to mind:

Can the vintage trem be set up to float? Does it work well set that way?

Headstock color - what would you do? natural, black, or match body? (I'm leaning toward ziricote board, if that makes a difference.)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by robertmu View Post
    Thanks again to all for the assist. Probably going with Pro Am for a non-pickguard look. Couple other questions come to mind:

Can the vintage trem be set up to float? Does it work well set that way?

Headstock color - what would you do? natural, black, or match body? (I'm leaning toward ziricote board, if that makes a difference.)

Thanks!
    yes the trem can float. For headstock I say natural or matching
    Current TAGs
    Crowdster
    Bobcat w/ HC1/HC3

Former TAGs,
    Classic w/ H3, M1, M1

I always float trems on S types. Even 6 screw vintage work well when setup correctly. The 2 screw Anderson bridges are even more stable when it comes to staying in tune.

Obviously these are just my opinion:

Definitely leave the headstock natural maple for a surf or sea foam green body.

Also, the fibre bobbin hum buckers are black, which looks ok on an antique white or tortoise guard with antique white neck and middle. All black pickups look ok on tortoise, but Iím not a fan of all black pickups on an antique white guard.

Thanks again for the info, everyone. It's been ordered!
    Alder on alder
    Surf green
    Chocolate maple neck
    Vintage trem
    60s vibe +.04
    Pickups still TBD based on Roy not being sure my original choice would be ok

Quote Originally Posted by robertmu View Post
    Thanks again for the info, everyone. It's been ordered!
    Alder on alder
    Surf green
    Chocolate maple neck
    Vintage trem
    60s vibe +.04
    Pickups still TBD based on Roy not being sure my original choice would be ok
    Did you go S or T. I have never even seen a 60ís +40 online anywhere. Your build has my attention now
    Current TAGs
    Crowdster
    Bobcat w/ HC1/HC3

Former TAGs,
    Classic w/ H3, M1, M1

Went with S Pro Am.