Thread: Crowdster acoustic tone

Crowdster acoustic tone

When sitting at home with headphones I've found all sorts of ways to get the Crowdster sounding like a 'real acoustic guitar'. Recordings sound great with the 3-Sigma and other IRs I've used over the years. Even the TC Bodyrez is ok through the DAW with headphones and monitors.

However, when playing live, the raw unaltered sound of the Crowdster wins every time. Maybe a tiny bit of compression, 'studio pre', or some sub-audible reverb is ok, but any of these pedals/tools that are designed to get rid of 'piezo quack' and add 'resonance' end up taking away 'body' from the Crowdster. The Crowdster doesn't have a plastic sounding quack, so there's no real need to 'get rid of piezo quack'. And in a good room, it already sounds like a full bodied acoustic guitar.

Maybe I've just grown accustomed to the sound of an amplified piezo when listening to bands and even some recordings. And have come to prefer that sound for its ability to cut through the mix without overpowering any particular frequency band. As long as it's not one of those super quacky/trebly UST piezos that is overdriving its preamp, I'm finding I actually like that tone for live performance.

The people I play with love the Crowdster when it's basically Crowdster --> Amp (either a Bose L1 Compact or an AER Compact 60) with no effects engaged. And I have to agree, whatever Tom & co have done with the EQ inside the Crowdster is pretty much exactly what is required to get an excellent live tone. Depending on other instruments, I'll roll off some amount of bass with the bass knob on the Crowdster. But, everything else I just run flat.

With the Helix, I might have the Studio Pre in the path to act as a gain block / compressor, but sometimes I'll even bypass that. (I do add some chorus/flange/ambient reverb/etc for special effects, but for general accompaniment all effects are off.)

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I agree 200%. When I got my Crowdster I loaded up some free Taylor ir that sounds so killer on all the clips I hear. Well low and behold every time I play live I prefer it with no IRs. My buddy has a Crowdster and from day one he bought some IR's. He keep telling me he wasn't sure if he preferred them over Crowdster alone. (When he text drove mine last year he said it did not feel warm enough). We recently played our Crowdster together. He used IRs and I didn't. He was like why does your Crowdster sound so amazing. I said I use no IRs use a heavy pick and my delay was in stereo. Tom really knocked it out of the park with these.

It is why I said he should use LR Baggs for his electric piezo
    Current TAGs
    Bobcat w/ HC1/HC3

Former TAGs,
    Short Drop Top Mongrel w/ H3, SC1, SC1
    Cobra (RW Neck and board) H1- / H2+
    HDTC w/ H02, SA1, SA1 and maple board
    HTC w/ HC-1 / TM2 and maple board
    Classic w/ H3, M1, M1
    Cobra (Trem) w/ PH1- / H2
    Crowdster

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    i don't often use a dual voice guitar when i play but this weekend i did. it's always a little stressful for me since i don't do it often enough, keeping track of two volume pedals and pedalboards. i used an aura but found i too enjoyed the sound better without the aura added. i did use some compression and that was nice. i played the crowdy plus 2 for half the stuff and a t classic with a fishman bridge for the other half. the fishman didn't sound nearly as good but i chalk that up to lighter strings and the metallic bridge. it could have used some help, but there was no time for me to fiddle with it. the second service was a lot more fun that the first as my confidence level was much higher having survived the first.

The un-effected signal cuts through a mix, but give me my Helix with a great IR every time.

Sounds so much like a mike acoustic I don't often even record with a mic on my acoustic anymore.
    LOVE YOUR AUDIENCE GTRS: Tom Anderson Crowdster + 2, Hollow CT Atom Wechter Acoustic
    Other Toys: FBT, Fishman, Line 6 (Helix Rack beta tester), Lava, Peterson, Planet Waves, etc...

Electric & Acoustic AT THE SAME TIME Electric AND Acoustic With the Variax
    My Music ~ Listen for free, buy for cheap. Electric and Acoustic at the Same Time with Helix

Btw, the free Taylor IR is kinda limited anyway. But... the stuff from 3 Sigma is TO. DIE. FOR!
    LOVE YOUR AUDIENCE GTRS: Tom Anderson Crowdster + 2, Hollow CT Atom Wechter Acoustic
    Other Toys: FBT, Fishman, Line 6 (Helix Rack beta tester), Lava, Peterson, Planet Waves, etc...

Electric & Acoustic AT THE SAME TIME Electric AND Acoustic With the Variax
    My Music ~ Listen for free, buy for cheap. Electric and Acoustic at the Same Time with Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
    Btw, the free Taylor IR is kinda limited anyway. But... the stuff from 3 Sigma is TO. DIE. FOR!
    The 3-Sigmas are great, especially when used at full length in a DAW.

My issue is that the singers and other musicians (and me), much prefer my tone when I bypass the IR. I've tried really low mix levels, but it just seems to kill the mid 'body' from the tone making it sound 'hollow' and harder to hear. If I turn up to be heard, it seems to be loud but 'indistinct'. I had similar problems with the Fishman Aura.

Suggestions for C2 finger picking recording

This seems like a good thread for this question. I'm recording backing tracks & demo's. I did a quick scratch track for the singer. I do intend to tweak things are re-record the part. Any suggestions on how to get a great finger picking tone?
    TAG C+2 & HDT , Godin A12, Homemade Koa/maple top hollow body electric, 1992 PRS Custom 24 Lacewood, Gibson Chet Atkins CE, 1976 Ovation Breadwinner, Ovation MM68 mandolin, Alvarez/Yairi DY87 dbl neck

Quote Originally Posted by dplight View Post
    This seems like a good thread for this question. I'm recording backing tracks & demo's. I did a quick scratch track for the singer. I do intend to tweak things are re-record the part. Any suggestions on how to get a great finger picking tone?
    Once you have a raw Crowdster recording that you're happy with, you can apply one of the 3-Sigma IRs using an impulse response utility (I just use Space Designer in Logic Pro X), then tweak EQ to taste. That's the best place to add reverb, compression and EQ to fit into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedwho View Post
    Once you have a raw Crowdster recording that you're happy with, you can apply one of the 3-Sigma IRs using an impulse response utility (I just use Space Designer in Logic Pro X), then tweak EQ to taste. That's the best place to add reverb, compression and EQ to fit into the mix.
    Thank you. I have a VST (Perfect Space) that I use a lot for general reverb. I will try and find the 3-Sigma IRs.
    TAG C+2 & HDT , Godin A12, Homemade Koa/maple top hollow body electric, 1992 PRS Custom 24 Lacewood, Gibson Chet Atkins CE, 1976 Ovation Breadwinner, Ovation MM68 mandolin, Alvarez/Yairi DY87 dbl neck

Quote Originally Posted by pipedwho View Post
    Just tried one of the Taylor 314ce IRs. Working pretty good. Can you get the 3Σ IRs as wave files? I did see some mention of a converter app. on one of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by dplight View Post
    Just tried one of the Taylor 314ce IRs. Working pretty good. Can you get the 3Σ IRs as wave files? I did see some mention of a converter app. on one of the forums.
    Yes, the acoustic IRs contain wav files at all the usual sample rates for piezo/soundhole/electric. Lots of options in there. The 3Σ IRs are great in the DAW as they can be used at their full lengths (about 250ms).