Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School me on some Floyd Rose

School me on some Floyd Rose

What is the specific difference between a regular Floyd Rose and a blocked Floyd Rose on the spec sheet? And why would I pick one over the other? Thanks.

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    blocked floyd only goes down. some people like it cause there's no wobble when playing hard, some like the D tuna for drop d tuning. i'm sure others will say why or why not.

Is it something that can be switched back and forth or is it inherent to the way the bridge routing is done?

I bought a small block of kiln dried mahogany years ago that I used to block a the Floyd on a Soloist I had at the time. The springs tension will hold the block in place so you can remove the block easily. I put a dab of Elmers glue on the block and even then it popped off easily with no damage to the guitar. I don't block guitars any longer. After a while your picking hand gets used to the floating bridge and you are less likely to put too much pressure on it.

I cut the block of wood as close as I could then used a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface to fine tune the block of wood until it sit nicely in the pocket with the base plate of the Floyd flush with the body. Easy peasy!

Edit: I once blocked a floyd rose with a nut and a stack of washers...just about anything will work.
    Last edited by Manning; 02-08-2016 at 07:27 PM.

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    guitar is made all the same, stopper we use is installed at final assem stage. it is screwed in so i would say you'd want to be taking it on and off regularly, but it is removable.

Great info. I've been toying around with ordering a Pro Am bowling ball with a Floyd (or whatever you're using now) for some late 80's nostalgia fun. I haven't messed with a Floyd in about as long.

Dsouza's gold and black Hammett guitar really grabbed me. When I was a wee teenager I thought that guitar was the coolest thing ever in the magazine pics of the day.

Just install a tremol no. You can lock it from pulling up or even lock it from moving at all.

I tried one of those a couple of times. I would rather use a block of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Manning
    I tried one of those a couple of times. I would rather use a block of wood.
    Got more pictures of your Pro Am? It looks AWESOME in white.

Quote Originally Posted by BFC
    Great info. I've been toying around with ordering a Pro Am bowling ball with a Floyd (or whatever you're using now) for some late 80's nostalgia fun. I haven't messed with a Floyd in about as long.

Dsouza's gold and black Hammett guitar really grabbed me. When I was a wee teenager I thought that guitar was the coolest thing ever in the magazine pics of the day.
    Dang dude. I just sold my b&w bowling ball and shipped it off this morning. Shoulda hit me up.

I just picked up a full set of ultrasonics should I ever want to retrofit the b&g

That was a really cool guitar but if I get one it'll be a shorty and a few other tweaks.

I too have used a variety of things to block a Floyd over the years. The slickest (I thought) were these little aluminum blocks a machinist friend of mine made. They sit in the spring cavity with the screws easily accessible from the top, between the springs (you gotta run three springs, which is generally no hardship). He made me several with different thickness's to get the bridge sitting right where I wanted it, and I would sometimes put a small piece of electrical tape on the face that contacted the bridge block to lessen the hard "Clunk" that you get if you let it up too fast. I learned to play around that though.

Worked great, easily removable if I'd been listening to too much Steve Vai.

So doing a little digging, it sounds like having a blocked Floyd has at least one advantage in getting it tuned up a little quicker/easier. Sounds like a full float on a Floyd is a pain to tune? Opinions?

Floaters can be a bit of a struggle at first if you're new to Floyds, but once the strings settle in, and if your using a good strings like Elixirs or D'Addarios and a stable guitar like a TAG it's no big deal.

If you ever break a string with a Floyd trem, you'll wish you had it blocked...